Diverticula are small, bulging pouches that can form in the lining of your digestive system. They are found most often in the lower part of the large intestine (colon). Diverticula are common, especially after age 40, and seldom cause problems.
The signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:
• Pain, which may be constant and persist for several days. Pain is usually felt in the lower left side of the abdomen, but may occur on the right, especially in people of Asian descent.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Abdominal tenderness.
• Constipation or, less commonly, diarrhea.
• Physical examination, including checking your abdomen for tenderness.
• Women, in addition, generally have a pelvic examination to rule out pelvic disease.
After that, doctor will likely recommend:
• Blood and urine tests, to check for signs of infection.
• Pregnancy test for women of childbearing age, to rule out pregnancy as a cause of abdominal pain.
• Liver function tests, to rule out other causes of abdominal pain.
• Stool test, to rule out infection in people who have diarrhea.
• CT scan, which can indicate inflamed or infected pouches and confirm a diagnosis of diverticulitis. CT can also indicate the severity of diverticulitis and guide treatment.
Treatment depends on the severity of your signs and symptoms:
If your symptoms are mild, you may be treated at home. doctor is likely to recommend:
• Antibiotics, to treat infection.
• A liquid diet for a few days while your bowel heals. Once your symptoms improve, you can gradually add solid food to your diet.
• An over-the-counter pain reliever,
This treatment is successful in 70 to 100 percent of people with uncomplicated diverticulitis.
In case of severe attack or other health problems, you'll likely need to be hospitalized. Treatment generally involves:
• Intravenous antibiotics
• Insertion of a tube to drain an abscess, if one has formed
You'll likely need surgery to treat diverticulitis if:
• You have a complication, such as perforation, abscess, fistula or bowel obstruction
• You have had multiple episodes of uncomplicated diverticulitis
• You are immune compromised
Consult at Aadil hospital for medical and surgical procedure.