IPD is a bacterial infection caused by a type of bacteria called streptococcus pneumoniae (or pneumococcus). This type of bacteria can cause any of the following :
• Pneumonia (lung infection)
• Bacteraemia (infection of the blood)
• Meningitis (infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord)
Pneumococcal infection is also a frequent cause of ear infections (otitis media).
Pneumonia, bacteraemia and meningitis can sometimes cause death or long lasting complications such as deafness, especially in people with a high-risk medical condition.
This vaccine is also available for high-risk children under the age of 5 years (as these children are at an increased risk for invasive pneumococcal disease).
High-risk children are those who have any of the following high-risk medical conditions :
• Sickle cell disease or other sickle cell disorders
• non-functioning or missing spleen
• HIV infection
• conditions that suppress the immune system (e.g., cancer, organ transplant, nephrotic syndrome, long-term corticosteroid use)
• chronic medical conditions (e.g., chronic heart or lung disease, diabetes mellitus, cerebrospinal fluid leak, chronic kidney or liver disease)
• before or after a cochlear implant.
• Clinical Examination
• Laboratory Tests:
Pneumococcal (conjugate) vaccine can prevent pneumonia, bacteraemia and meningitis caused by streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria in these young children.
Consult at Aadil Hospital for Vaccination.